10 January 2011

2010 Year in Review

2010 in Review = I had to steal this from a friend- I liked it too much to not do so, so thanks Rachelle!

What did you do in 2010 that you have never done before?

I began working full time, going to school full time, being a single married mom full time- all at the same time! What a whirl wind of a year.  I went on my first business trip and loved it. I didn't know what to do with out my kids, but I am learning to love the time alone!!


Did you keep your news years resolutions and will you set more for next year?



I don't make resoutions, so no.. But that doesn't really matter. This year I just want to be better.  There are always things that we can be better at and if I am just a little bit better than I was last year, then I would be happy and feel successful!

Did anyone close to you give birth?

My brother and with wonderful wife had thier first little angel Liam born to them and we are so happy for them!! My cousin also had a miracle baby this year.  I am sure we have had many friends and family with extensions to their family, but those are the 2 that matter the most to me (and what I can remember off the top of my head).

Did anyone close to you die?

Close to us no, but we did find out that the husband of senior missionary couple that semi hooked Jared and I up 11 years ago passed away. : /



What county did you visit?

None- I haven't been on vacation for over a year!! I am so due for one! :) Utah here we come- well a few weeks out any way!


What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?

Well, I would like to take better care of myself. After giving so much to everyone else, I need to take care of all of me, not just part of me... So, starting the year off right I am fixing my vision, my teeth and everything else that I can do...

I would also like to get out of debt (and stay out of debt).  I paid a few debts off while Jared was away and have financial plans to help get much of the rest paid off over the next few months. It's incredible to think that we actually have a bit of money to live comfortably after so many years of struggle. So, whomever told me that it takes a good 10 or so year before life becomes a little (financially) easier, kudos to you. :)

I would also like for my boys to be 100% potty trained. I know this is asking a lot because it is 100% out of my hands, but that would cut down on my head aches by a TON!!


What dates from 2010 will stay etched in your memory and why?

June 28th- Jared left for deployment, August 26th- Ashton started school, November (Thanksgiving week)- Baby Liam was born.


What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I am most definatly proud of the fact that I have maintained a 4.0 since starting school in the summer. I work very hard to keep my grades up, expecially under all the stress.  I also feel proud that I am helping to pay off debt and can handle (only even if it's just a bit) a 7 month deployment.

What was your biggest failure?

Not being as grateful as I could be, being quick to anger, yelling, shutting down.. A lot of the ones I am thinking are very personal (and I really need to work on them- and I'm trying. It just takes time and acceptance to change).

Did you suffer illness or injury?


Only heart ache and stress- which caused way too many UTI's, strep, sinus infections, etc. Other than that, I've been much healthier this year than in years past.

What was the best thing you bought?

This might sound a bit odd, but a new Wii and an xbox 360. They have been a lifesaver when my stress level was high. Other than that I can safely say I bought way too much junk and really want to spend money this year on stuff that our house (or family) needs..


Whose behavior merited celebration?

I can honestly say, no one's in my house. So began the year of the sassies in our home. I have 2 pre tweens that are falling to quickly into those years and I am NOT looking forward to the changes ahead.  I can say that I am VERY proud of Cole for trying to behave in his Gen- Ed class (which has made all the difference in the world to me- now if we can get that to happen at his other class, then I'd be set).

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

I will be honest, my kids, mine, pretty much a lot of people let me down this last year. It is like it has been. what you sow is what you reap.

Where did most of your money go?

Not into my bank accounts for long. The house and cars and insurance take a major chunck out of the budget, but so does food and bills. Won't it be nice when things get paid off? I can't wait to pay off the cars. I think that will make the biggest difference.


What did you get really, really, really excited about?

To be honest with you, nothing. Last year was more of a stressful year than an exciting one, but I know the kids would say Great Wolf Lodge! It was cery fun going there, but super over prices!!

What song will always remind you of 2010?

IDK... I just listen to country music and primary songs..

Compared to this time last year are you richer or poorer? fatter or thinner? happier or sadder?

Financailly, we are better off than we were. We are making it all work, though. Fatter, thinner- eehhh I am about the same, but wish I was smaller- back to the old normal- not the post kid normal, there is always this year to change that. Maybe when my stress level drops.  Happier, most definatly. I have learned that happiness is a choice that I have to make ever day.  I feel incredibly blessed to have what I have, but am learning that I have to let go, forgive (myself and others) and just choose to be happy despite all the gloominess around me.  And I sort of get a little kick out of the fact that people think I'm always pissed off all the time.. HE HE HE.

What do you wish you'd done more of?

Eating better, exercise, kept my house cleaner.. There are a lot of what ifs in my head, but I can't change the past, so let's not dwell on them!


What do you wish you'd done less of?

Yell, been angry over stupid things, less conneced with people electronically. I'd like to just go "off grid for a while" and see what things I get done when not attached to the phone or internet.


What was your favorite TV program?

Well, I picked up Grey's Anatomy, Big Bang Theory, NCIS LA and Glee. Those are about the only ones that I have to see. Also, got back into the Dukes of Hazzard.


Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

Of course there are people that I loathe, but I won't name names. Plus, if I don't talk to you on a semi regular basis then I probably don't care for you.  I am so tired of all the drama- other peoples drama. I"m not in HS any more and have enough drama in my own home that I don't deal with it- even extended family drama. So, if you are undramatic- I LOVE YOU and THANK YOU for it!


What was the best book you read?

So, confession, I hate to read! I don't like to sit down and read a book, I'd rather listen to it.  Plus all my time is spend reading my text books. Not my favorite (again I wish it could be read to me).

What was your greatest musical discovery?

I rediscovered playing the piano and how much of a stress reliever it is to just sit down and hit that keyboard a few times and get out aggression in a song. I'm not a great piano player and hate playing for other people. I do it for me only.

What did you want and get?

Nothing really. I didn't really get anything for myself last year. The stuff we did in the year didn't do so well, but this year, we are gunna make it 10 times better!

What did you want and not get?

Peace in my house. My kids fight all the time (so do the dogs).  I don't get nearly enough time to sleep or do home work or cook or clean.  I really hope that I can find balance this year.

What was your favorite film of the year?

So, many of my friends are not going to find this one funny at all- but I really like Dinner for Schmucks.  The main character reminded me of my son- all the quarkiness and challanges that make him who he is- an individual - a person.  I didn't love the theme behind the movie as it was mean toned, but I saw my son in a different light and laughed about his oddities and feel very blessed that he isn't into getting mice and dressing and posing them in significant scenes in his life.


What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

I turned 30 last year. I did nothing for my birthday. Jared slept as he was working nights and I just felt bad for myself- which usually happens. I like to feel special and spoiled and surprised on my birthday and didn't feel that way last year. :/

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Being able to be closer to my family and spend time with them. I miss my siblings and cousins and in laws (well some of them).  I missing my family and the parties and seeing each of their fmailies grow.  When I go home (to Utah) I just eat up the time with them (and lose a lot of sleep) because I cherish those late night talks or game nights.

What kept you sane?
 
Allergy, migraine and asthma meds all helped out A LOT!! Knowing that I can rely on friends and neighbors to vent about everything helped. Jared calling or emailing when I needed a good smack out of my pity party. Sleep- working and of course school.   Oh and a few Dr. Peppers and some Virgin Pina Coladas really helped a lot.  As well as take out Chinese food, pizza and fast food restaurants. (so grateful I live in a time when I only have to hop in my car and drive 5 minutes away to feed my family). And of course, my kids- even though the add to chaos and stress, they help me stay grounded. 
 

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Kate,
I glad you were able to use this. It is a good tradition. Atleast I find it helpful. I sure am sorry that this year was so hard. Sounds like you have had a lot to deal with. I wish there was something I could say other than... I hope 2011 is a better year. Also just FYI.. it made me laugh, but under your question "what did you get really, really excited about?"... the portion from my blog was copied and not erased. It made me laugh because it was a quirky answer that I gave. Probably doesn't fit your family quite the same way. :) Best of luck in this years non-resolutions.

Mason Family said...

THanks Rachelle... I fixed it. Guess that sort of stuff happens after midnight... funny about Rubber ducky, we bought a CD with that song on it last spring and the kids listened to it so much (and transported it too often) that the disc was scratched and we can't play it. :/

Stephanie said...

We miss you too! I'm excited you are planning a Utah trip soon! I loved this post- it was honest and summed up the year nicely. I may have to do something similar on my blog! I'm glad Jared is home safe and sound! Hopefully that will help with the stress... We just watched Dinner for Schmucks last week, the mice thing was pretty funny!